Tuesday, April 8, 2014

“Tales” is evolving.

When I conceived of “Tales from the Attic” I thought it would centre on the many musicians I've jammed with, reminiscences of the tumultuous Greenwich Village in the '60s, on the road with Sharon, Lois and Bram … the folkie stories.

There is some of that, but three of the stories are about Bosnia and Kosovo at war.  Another is about a dark journey into Cocaine; another about anger and sexual repression; and I’m developing one about jealousy.

There are stories about love, connection, and how music creates a harmony not only of chords, but of hearts.  And scattered among these tales are humorous misadventures.

Themes of conflict are emerging, personal, interpersonal and social; some loving conflicts and some not. 

Taking shape for me out of the exploration of these tales is the discovery that there is either love or violence, and even violence is a cry for love.  The first time I heard this from my mentor, Stan Dale, I found it a very hard saying.  How could it be true?  Rape, murder, war… is the Universe driven by two opposite forces or just one?  I question it to this day.  And yet the more I revisit the memories of war torn Bosnia and Kosovo, or the conflict of love and hate in Mississippi… the deeper I dig into the guts of my own soul, the more I find it to be true.

And other themes are emerging as I develop this show… meta themes.  When I was a teenager music was about impressing, getting girls, being admired... in other words, a way of masking the insecurities that lay within.  Now my music is less about putting up a front and more about sharing what’s inside.  I seek out my inner vulnerabilities and wear them, inviting my audience to experience the deeper me, even though I know there will be judgment.  We tend to spend our lives comparing our insides to other people’s outsides.  I don’t want to continue showing up that way.  I rest in the faith that the deeper we look into each others’ eyes, the more we see ourselves. 

Stay tuned for the next installment of discovering who I am and what I’m doing here.  I think “Tales from the Attic” will soon be coming to Shelburne, Ontario, and after that, Toronto.

Love,

Eric

3 comments:

  1. Please come to Toronto or Durham Region. I'd be really like to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember meeting you while you were on tour in the early 90s. You were at a show in Maryland. The elephant show was my favorite show at the time as I was only 6 or 7. I was so nervous to come and talk to you before the show. I rehearsed in my head over and over what I would say to you. My palms were sweaty and my knees were knocking together as I approached you. I politely told you that I was a big fan and you told me without even looking at me, "that's great kid. I'm busy". My first brush with fame and it was a terrible one. Never watched your show again after that. Hope you're doing well but just wanted to let that you really let down a big fan of you and the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Erin,

    I'm very sorry you were affected by our encounter. I don't remember it but I can believe something like what you describe happened. I hope I have grown to be more accepting of people and less tied up with my own stuff. If we ever have a chance to meet again I hope you'll re-introduce yourself and remind me of my callous behaviour.

    ReplyDelete